With the start of camp, the "morning shootaround" will peek its hairless little head out into the open more often. Yesterday was media day, so there's plenty of links and stuff from those in attendance. Let's not waste any time:
- Game On. "Joe Dumars set up the roster he handed John Kuester to ensure competition for minutes at every position."
- Rodney Stuckey clarified his comment to Dime Mag, saying that they misquoted him and he said the Pistons are "among" the best teams in the league on paper.
- Richard Hamilton is not sure what to make of the new technical foul rules.
- Terrico White is on Twitter. The account @tee23white was confirmed as being him.
- PistonPowered recorded an interview of Tracy McGrady, but you can barely hear a thing. The Ben Gordon video is more audible.
- Was point guard Vernon Hamilton extended an invite to Pistons camp? He sent out an all-caps tweet Friday saying he was signed, but we haven't heard anything from the local beat writers. According to Hamilton, the Ukraine offices haven't sent his release yet, but his Twitter profile is decked out in Detroit Pistons, so he seems pretty intent on being with the Pistons for at least this preseason. UPDATE (1:02 p.m. est): Vernon Hamilton officially joined the Pistons for camp, according to Chris Iott.
- The official @detroitpistons Twitter page has a bunch of pictures from media day.
- A lot of the pictures on the Twitter page, you'll see, are players sitting down for a live chat with fans. The chat was moderated by Keith Langlois and one of his co-workers over at pistons.com. There were a lot of PR-scripted cliches, but after the jump are some of the more notable questions/answers from the chat:
Q: How are you going to take the next step this year into becoming one of the NBA's elite point guards?
A: "I think it's all just becoming a leader of the team and I'll just gradually flow into it. I think the more we win, the better it looks."
Q: Do you still eat babies?
A: "That popped up my 2nd year. Some people don't like it, but I think it's fun."
Q: How do you plan on playing an even bigger role this year?
Q: Who is your idol?
A: "Out of bball it's my grandfather. In bball, it's Charles Barkley and the old Shawn Kemp. I mean the young Shawn Kemp."
A: "Aw yeah, Easy. I crush it on Maxiell all the time in practice."
Q: How many assists do you plan on having this year?
A: "It just depends on if I start or not. I'm shooting for 10, but if I fall in the 7-8 range I'll be good."
A: "Stuckey's crazy, man."
Q: Ben, would you rather be 6th man of the year or a starter?
A: "As long as me and Willy B are out there at the same time, whatever.
Q: What are you most looking forward to this season?
Q: Which current players do you look up to?
A: "Ben Wallace and Kobe Bryant just because their work ethics are out of this world. Just being around Ben and knowing Kobe's personality. Also Rudy Gay. He's played well for Team USA this summer."
Q: Hey Austin, have you gotten a lot stronger this summer?
A: "I've gained about 9 pounds of productive weight this offseason. I look forward to using it to my advantage this offseason."
Q: Have you been working on that three pointer?
A: "I've been working on a lot of things this summer, but I've been focusing on my post play the most."
Q: What have you been working on most this summer?
A: "Probably mid-range and ball-handling is what I've been working on the most. After that just the overall game."
Q: Stort Grattis till en supersäsong som första svensk i NBA (Congratulations for a superb debute as the first Swede in NBA) I've been following most every game of the Pistons since -05 and I'm really glad you ended up there. You make us all proud of your efforts last year. Feeling good about this season? Want to see the playoffs?
A: "hej till alla mina svenska fans dar hemma. folj mig denna sasongen!"
Q: Jonas, how much better have you gotten on offense?
A: "I'm a lot more confident that I was last year. I've only been in the NBA one year, so it's going to take time. Hopefully I'll show fans that I've got more to my off. game than I did last year."
Q: Have you been practicing that little hook shot you got?
A: "Of course, that's my shot and it can always get better. You'll see it more this year."
Q: What have you been working on this summer?
A: "My ballhandling and my shooting (deep and mid-range)."
Q: We going to see those hops you got this year?
A: "Yeah, I'm gonna show it on defense, block some shots. I'm definitely going to show it."
Q: Hey Terrico, you or Will Bynum in a dunk contest, who wins?
A: "I think I'll win, because I've already got some style dunks like a windmill. But Will would probably give me a really good challenge - for his height."
Q: What part of your game will get you on the floor?
A: "Just my scoring ability."
Q: Who would you say is the funniest player on the team?
A: "Maxiell. He's just always making me laugh. He's silly, a jokester."
Note from Moderator: "T-Mac was easily the most requested player both here in the chat and at the other media stations."