Joe Dumars has a pretty weird life. He can travel to Slovenia, be treated like a celebrity, have casual conversations with prime ministers, and joke with reporters while being interviewed by the local news media "What! This is Ljubljana? I thought I was in Paris." He can do all this, yet he can't stop from getting booed in his own building.
What is he doing there? Good question. He didn't give any specific answers in the article, just said he wanted to watch a good basketball game (cough since he hasn't seen any at the palace cough). This game in particular...but he's too coy to say who he's scouting. He could be:
- Scouting Jan Vesely, a tall skinny athletic forward who can't hit free throws and has no post skills, and he doesn't like defense much either. But man can he throw down some dunks.
- Killing time before heading up to see the semifinals of the lithuanian league featuring Jonas Valanciunas and Lietuvos Rytas.
- Hopping across the Adriatic to catch a Benetton Treviso game starring Donatas Montiejunas on the 23rd?
- Scouting a couple of stars from the Spurs undefeated summer league team last year, Curtis Jerrells and James Gist, currently playing in Slovenia.
- Creating press to cover up his secret meeting with Bismack Biyombo, and his agents where he promises to draft him at 7, and if drafted early, Bismack demands that the team trade him to Detroit for the 7 pick and Charlie Villanueva.
Either way, the fact that he off the couch and hundreds of miles away from his McGriddles means he is taking the idea of drafting a euro seriously, and that he's just as afraid of pulling another Darko as everybody else is.