It was Super 70s night at The Palace, and our Juno Pistons lost by 17 in front of about 70 people. They scored 81. The loss was Detroit's 10th in their last 11 games (or we could really just say 13th in their 16 games this season), fifth straight at home, and fourth in a row overall. Really Super.
The Pistons trailed 49-30 at the half, but scored half of 70 in an inspired third quarter wherein Lawrence Frank picked up his first technical of the season and Brandon Knight scored 12 of his 22 points. The deficit was down to as little as seven with just under nine minutes left in the game, but one last 17-3 Grizzlies run put Memphis back up 21 and the Pistons layin' a gasser.
Detroit didn't shoot all that bad as a team (44-percent) and actually outrebounded the Griz 38-27 (13-3 on the offensive glass), but 25 turnovers helped Memphis shoot 57-percent, collect assists on 23 of their 39 baskets, and score 19 fast break points. I didn't see the final stat, but when the Pistons were at 19 turnovers, the Grizzlies had translated those into 26 points (the Pistons had just six points off turnovers at that point).
Brandon Knight was the leading scorer for the Pistons with the aforementioned 22 on 6-for-18 shooting. Greg Monroe had a quiet double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds. While the Pistons shot 44-percent, Knight, Monroe, and Tayshaun Prince were the three volume shooters and they combined to be just 15-for-43 (35-percent); the rest of the Pistons were 14-for-23 (61-percent).
Rudy Gay led all scorers with 24 points on 10-for-17 shooting. Far out. Get down with me after the jump.
- The Pistons were 5-for-14 on spot up shots, 2-for-9 on pick-and-rolls, and 10-for-14 in transition and on cuts. More transition, movement basketball.
- Ben Gordon had 10 points on 3-for-6 shooting. He scored 4 points in the 1st quarter and then the other 6 in the first 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter.
- No. 22 took 13 shots. He made 5.
- Ben Wallace had 2 rebounds in 16 minutes. Langlois twonders if he'll be back tonight.
- Jerebko will likely start tonight while the ol' man rests. He had 9 points on 4-for-5 shooting and grabbed 7 rebounds.
- Austin Daye:
Finally made a couple shot to many TO's gotta get back in the flow of the game!!
- Jason Maxiell had the play of the night.
- Walker Russell Jr., who the Pistons just called up from the Mad Ants, was the first guard off the bench with Stuckey and Bynum out. He looked okay, for a guy who has spent five seasons in the D-League. He finished with 2 assists and 3 turnovers, a steal, and 3 points in 20-plus minutes.
- Vernon Macklin saw 3:55 of burn and grabbed 2 rebounds. That's roughly 18 rebounds per 36!
Roll Call: C$, JWurm, Supa Dupe, The Boourns, dandresden, brgulker, Mike Payne, Sean_Corp, Buddahfan, Trout Jefferson, JoeDip, n8dogg606, freywagg, mhout005, bugman222, Packey, Kriz, -PS-, curlyfries, OK from J, Taiwanese Tora, Reno09, DesolationRow, Aris Kafadogias, Shinons*, aussiegus, Danny D, BandWagonerPaysTheDues, tads, garrettelliott, MIggy's DD, aussiepiston
Total Users: 32
Total Posts: 276
Total Threads: 1
Name # of Posts The Boourns 36 OK from J 28 Mike Payne 20 -PS- 19 DesolationRow 17 dandresden 15 BandWagonerPaysTheDues 15 bugman222 14 Aris Kafadogias 13 Packey 13 n8dogg606 12 garrettelliott 10 tads 9 Danny D 7 Sean_Corp 5 JoeDip 5 C$ 5 JWurm 5 MIggy's DD 4 Trout Jefferson 3 freywagg 3 Kriz 3 aussiegus 2 aussiepiston 2 brgulker 2 Reno09 2 Buddahfan 2 Taiwanese Tora 1 mhout005 1 curlyfries 1 Supa Dupe 1 Shinons* 1