One of the first pieces I read when I signed onto DBB was a nice little piece by revken about Brandon Knight's consistency issues. A month or so ago, I started (didn't finish) writing a piece that was going to evaluate the consistency of each Piston player based on the same formula revken used. However, I started wondering. Would it be better to use Per Game or Per 36 averages to measure consistency. In here, I'm going to compare Drummond's, cause we miss him so, consistency based on both Per Game and Per 36 and I'd like to get DBBs feedback on which is the best to use to determine consistency. And for comparison I'm going to do the same for Monroe.
Points Per Game
Andre averages 7.3 PPG and Greg averages 15.9. I'm going to break down their games into five quadrants.
- Q1 - Andre between 0 and 2 points, Greg between 0 and 6 points.
- Q2 - Andre between 3 and 5 points, Greg between 7 and 12 points.
- Q3 - Andre between 6 and 8 points, Greg between 13 and 18 points.
- Q4 - Andre between 9 and 11 points, Greg between 19 and 24 points.
- Q5 - Andre more than 11 points, Greg more than 24 points.
Points Per 36
Andre averages 13.3 PP36 and Greg averages 17.3 PP36. I'm going to break down their games into five quadrants.
- Q1 - Andre between 0 and 4 points, Greg between 0 and 6 points.
- Q2 - Andre between 5 and 9 points, Greg between 7 and 13 points.
- Q3 - Andre between 10 and 15 points, Greg between 14 and 20 points.
- Q4 - Andre between 16 and 21 points, Greg between 21 and 27 points.
- Q5 - Andre more than 21 points, Greg more than 27 points.
Rebounds Per Game
Andre averages 7.5 RPG, Greg averages 9.5 RPG. I'm going to break down their games into five quadrants.
- Q1 - Andre between 0 and 2 rebounds, Greg between 0 and 3 rebounds.
- Q2 - Andre between 3 and 5 rebounds, Greg between 4 and 7 rebounds.
- Q3 - Andre between 6 and 8 rebounds, Greg between 8 and 11 rebounds.
- Q4 - Andre between 9 and 11 rebounds, Greg between 12 and 15 rebounds.
- Q5 - Andre more than 11 rebounds, Greg more than 15 rebounds.
Rebounds Per 36
Andre averages 13.7 RPG, Greg averages 10.3 RPG. I'm going to break down their games into five quadrants.
- Q1 - Andre between 0 and 4 rebounds, Greg between 0 and 3 rebounds.
- Q2 - Andre between 5 and 9 rebounds, Greg between 4 and 7 rebounds.
- Q3 - Andre between 10 and 15 rebounds, Greg between 8 and 12 rebounds.
- Q4 - Andre between 16 and 21 rebounds, Greg between 13 and 16 rebounds.
- Q5 - Andre more than 21 rebounds, Greg more than 16 rebounds.
Field Goal Percentage
Andre has a FG% of 59.2%, Greg has a FG% of 48.0%. I'm going to break down their games into five quadrants. (Andre has two games where he didn't attempt a shot.) And I know you can't have Per 36 FG%, but I wanted to look at their consistency of shooting.
- Q1 - Andre between 0.0% and 22.5%, Greg between 0.0% and 19.0%.
- Q2 - Andre between 22.6% and 47.0%, Greg between 19.1% and 38.0%.
- Q3 - Andre between 47.1% and 70.0%, Greg between 38.1% and 57.0%.
- Q4 - Andre between 70.1% and 88.0%, Greg between 57.1% and 76.0%.
- Q5 - Andre more than 88.0%, Greg more than 76.0%.
It would seem, as expected, that Monroe is a more consistent player than Drummond. I may need to do another post in the future doing this same comparison to Monroe for all three of his years, seeing if there's been a progression of consistency, or if it will allow us to see if he'll likely stay a 10 RPG player.
Drummond seems more consistent when looking at Per 36 numbers. If you ask me, that's extremely encouraging. I hope that points to his production being more likely to stay the same (as in efficiency) with more playing time (when that comes).
So my question to you, as I plan on doing a piece determining how consistent each of our players are comparatively, and may do a piece before the draft on some of the DBB favorites, or might even do one on request, which would you likely use to determine consistency? Per Game averages or Per 36?