I think that, 4 days away from the draft, we can assume some things with more certainty;
Let us start with this: even if there are draft day trades, I think that at #7 Alex Len, Anthony Bennett, Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo and Otto Porter Jr will be gone. That would mean that the Pistons would have to choose from these players (excluding Sacramento's pick):
- Trey Burke: I wouldn't say he's this year Drummond. It's understandable why he's not on the top 6, but he surely shows a lot of abilities. He can shoot and he can make plays. And I don't think his size is a decisive factor. He would be Calderon's replacement, taking the ball off of Knight's hands.
- CJ McCollum: don't let Stuckey's and Knight's presences as combo guards stop the Pistons from thinking of drafting him. In my opinion, Stuckey should be shopped and will be out of this team at least by the end of the season. They would still need a starting PG.
- Michael Carter Williams: with Monroe and Drummond as starters, his lack of shooting is a problem. He would have to be paired with a very good shooter and I don't know if Knight fits that bill. If he ends up being the starter PG, we would need one or two Rip Hamiltons 2.0 at SG and SF.
- Kentavious Caldwell Pope: I consider him a low risk, low reward pick. He would be a good backup SG with a chance of becoming the starting SG. But, for that, the Pistons would need a good SG, not buying time with Knight as starting SG. I still think English has potential.
- Shabazz Muhammad: I don't think he's a good choice for #8. He may become a good player, but I would only consider him if we had that #13 pick.
- Cody Zeller: I think Detroit shouldn't let Monroe's expiring contract make this interesting, but also shouldn't let Monroe's certainty as a starter PF stop them from drafting Zeller. Monroe might still be the best choice after Drummond as C, and the 3 could share the 96 minutes on PF and C.
With that being said: my choosing order would be:
One of them will be gone. If the Pistons also had the 13th, I think that at least one of them might still be there. Any combination except from Burke and MCW would work.
That's my opinion. What do you guys think?