The Jose Calderon era started as one might have expected given he hasn't been able to practice with the team and the Pistons were playing on the road, where they absolutely suck, against the Knicks, who have now outscored the Pistons by 50 points in three games this year. After 12 minutes, the Pistons had 13 points and were down 15. After another 36 minutes of some really ugly basketball, the Pistons were lucky to have lost by 14, 99-85.
The Pistons never led in the contest and trailed by as many as 26 points at one point. Not counting Calderon's 5-for-7 shooting in the first half, the team shot 26-percent.
What's a little bizarre is the Pistons made more baskets than the Knicks, 38 to 36. However, the Knicks made 11 more three pointers (14) and seven extra free throws (13). The Pistons also had fewer turnovers and only three fewer rebounds despite giving the Knicks plenty more opportunities. Thus, the final box score might actually suggest it wasn't that bad for the Pistons, but make no mistake: it was bad and never close.
If the loss wasn't bad enough -- the Pistons' fourth loss in their last five by double digits -- Andre Drummond only played a little over eight minutes due to a sore back.
• Calderon scored 15 on 7-for-12 shooting with three assists and no turnovers. He made some pretty pretty passes to start the game, but it was quickly realized that it takes finishers to make a point guard complete.
• Brandon Knight's first game as a starting shooting guard left quite a bit to be desired. Like, a shooting guard. You could tell Knight felt out of place, asking for the ball on inbounds after Knicks baskets and hesitant on some shots (even though he has never been shy before). He finished 2 for 10 (1 for 6 behind the arc) with two assists and no turnovers.
• Greg Monroe had 13 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks, but he also had five turnovers, and was lucky to not have more. He had zero control of his handles and, although he has never been flashy, his game has never been so ugly.
• Carmelo Anthony was hot - 27 points on 17 shots.
• Tyson Chandler had 20 rebounds. Yawn.
• Jerebko had a a quality 16 and a half minutes - eight points, five rebounds and three steals.
• Stuckey started fairly strong, but finished weak. He had 14 points on 6-for-15 shooting, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals.
• Box Score.
• Roll Call
51 commenters, 547 comments
|8||Canadian Molasses Runner||21|
|37||Roll The Dyess||1|
|39||OK from J||1|