Reggie Jackson's contract draws ire from John Wall
Being Motown's point guard of the future didn't save Reggie Jackson from drawing some criticism from Washington Wizards star John Wall, who scoffed at the notion that he would be in the same pay bracket as Jackson. Wall signed a five-year, $80 million extension with the Wizards in 2013, and didn't seem to believe Reggie Jackson earned the five-year, $80 million contract tendered to him by the Pistons' front office. Per Jorge Castillo of The Washington Post:
"Man, everybody talking about me getting $80 million and you got people getting $85 and $90 million that ain't been an all-star or anything like that," Wall said during the Wizards' summer league win over the Dallas Mavericks at Thomas and Mack Center on Tuesday. "I guess they came in at the right time. The new CBA kicked in at the right time. That new CBA kicked in and they're good now. Like, Reggie Jackson gets five years, 80. Like, I'm getting the same amount as Reggie Jackson right now."
Whilst Jackson's deal was a surprise to the League, most Pistons fans expected Stan Van Gundy to make a max offer to the point guard. In 27 games with Detroit, Reggie averaged 17.6 points and 9.2 assists, whilst John Wall put up 17.6 points and 10.0 assists for the Wizards, earning himself his first All-Star selection. By numbers alone, both point guards seem to have equal outputs, but although Wall has shown to be able to average them consistently, Jackson has suffered from a small sample size that many around the Association believe doesn't warrant such a large contract. When it is all said and done though, the former Kentucky standout holds no grudges.
"I can't control it. That's what happens," Wall continued. "But I'm happy for those guys. To see anybody get the opportunity to live their dream out and take care of their family when they can, that's a blessing. So I'm happy for those guys."
Adonis Thomas joins Pistons for training camp, roster count now at 18
In a move that many had seen coming, Grand Rapids Drive standout Adonis Thomas has earned a training camp spot with Detroit. The addition of Thomas leaves the roster at 18 players, and the forward is currently the only player to have an unguaranteed contract. During Summer League, the 22 year-old averaged 8.6 points and 4.0 rebounds in 26 minutes of action, and finished with a shooting slash of .315/.375/1.000.
Thomas went undrafted out of Memphis in 2013, and has in the past been a training camp addition for the Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets and Indiana Pacers. He had a brief stint in the League in 2013, playing six games for both the Orlando Magic and Philadelphia 76ers, where he averaged 2.3 points 0.5 rebounds and 0.5 assists in 6.2 minutes per game, and had an eFG of 46.4%.
Whilst the addition of the D-Leaguer doesn't necessarily affect the roster, it does highlight the fact that the Pistons currently have 17 guaranteed contracts (one of which is Stanley Johnson's, although he has yet to sign his deal). The only other unguaranteed contract on the roster was that of Quincy Miller, who was traded to the Brooklyn Nets earlier this week for Steve Blake. With four point guards on the roster, speculation abounds that the Pistons may look to discard a floor-general: either sophomore Spencer Dinwiddie, who despite showing much potential, has struggled with his shot, or Brandon Jennings, who is recovering from a ruptured Achilles. Another possible scenario is that the Pistons could also look to deal the recently acquired point guard, much like how Luke Ridnour was traded almost half a dozen times this offseason.
Danny Granger, who was acquired in a separate trade along with Reggie Bullock and Marcus Morris, is also expected to be on the block. Vince Ellis of The Detroit Free Press is under the impression that there is currently a market for the veteran forward as well as Cartier Martin and Reggie Bullock. Of the three, Granger and Martin are likely on their way out. Danny Granger has played in a total of 76 games in the past three seasons, whilst Cartier Martin had the worst season of his career.
Darrun Hilliard, Pistons agree to contract
The Detroit Pistons and their 2015 second round pick Darrun Hilliard have come to a contractual agreement that will see the Villanova guard sign on for three years according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. Hilliard's deal should be on par with that of fellow Piston Spencer Dinwiddie, whom the team signed to a three year, $2.5 million deal last summer. Vince Ellis of The Detroit Free Press points out that the first year of his contract will be fully guaranteed, the second only partially, whilst the third will be a team option. DBB's own Ben Quagliata earlier explained the contract situation second rounders face, with teams able to negotiate different types of deals for second round selections, Piston second rounders have in the past, been inked to different types of deals.
Chuck Myron over at Hoops Rumors explains that Detroit will dedicate cap space towards the signing of the 6'6" swingman, rather than use an exception, which Myron looks into detail here. The Hoops Rumors writer also goes over the relatively surprising selection of Hilliard with the 38th pick, considering most pundits expected the guard to go undrafted.