Thon Maker continues to generate buzz after workout with Pistons
Draft prospect Thon Maker left a lasting impression in Detroit -- and it wasn't just his performance. In a more light-hearted story, Vince Ellis recounts how Maker's answer to one of the reporter's questions made him reconsider his wording.
The question sounded better in my head, before I started talking.
The need to add bulk and strength is an obvious area for improvement for 7-foot NBA draft prospect Thon Mark of Sudan.
"What do you do to gain weight?" I asked.
After a brief pause and look of bewilderment, Maker answered: "Just eat."
The group of reporters at the Detroit Pistons' practice facility broke into laughter. There was probably a better way for me to phrase the question to the rail-thin 215-pounder. But Maker saved the day.
Despite the initial look of bewilderment, Maker went on to explain his diet plan and how he expects to put on enough weight to be able to compete against NBA big men and what he thinks of being nicknamed the draft's "mystery man". Various mocks have the seven footer projected to go late in the first or early in the second. While the Pistons have shown some interest in drafting him if he slips to the 49th pick, it doesn't seem realistic that he would slide that far.
Detroit hosts workout for several other prospects
After a relatively quiet week, the Pistons have brought in several players to pass the eye test at their training facility, here is the rundown on the prospects that were linked to Motown in the last couple weeks:
- As previously noted, Thon Maker and Stephen Zimmerman, who had been interviewed by the team before being penciled in after the draft combine, worked out for the team, according to Pistons.com's Keith Langlois.
- French forward Petr Cornelie was also present for the workout, Langlois indicated. The 20-year-old forward is currently expected to be a late first round pick and averaged 8.8 points and 3.5 rebounds per game while shooting over 39 percent from deep in his last season in Europe.
- New Mexico State big man Pascal Siakham, who is projected to be selected late in the second round, also worked out for Detroit, as Langlois relayed in a different tweet. Siakham put up 20 points, 11 rebounds and 2 blocks per game during his last college season.
- Texas product Isaiah Taylor worked out with the Pistons along with fellow point guard Anthony Barber. Taylor, who is expected to go undrafted, averaged 15 points and 5 assists this year, whilse Barber, who has been noted as a potential second round pick, averaged 23 points and 4 assists for North Carolina State this season.
- Basketball Insiders' Alex Kennedy reveals that Seton Hall shooting guard Isaiah Whitehead will work out for Stan Van Gundy & Co. this week. Projected to be a late second round choice, Whitehead averaged 18 points and 5 assists during his last collegiate season.
- Swingman Danuel House is rumored to have scheduled workouts with the Pistons according to Sporting News' Sean Deveney. The Texas A&M product put up 15 points and 4 rebounds per game for the Aggies this year.
- Vince Ellis reports that Yogi Farrell (PG, Indiana), Ron Baker (SG, Wichita St.), Derrick Jones (F, UNLV), Thomas Walkup (SG, SFA), Marcus Paige (SG, UNC) and Tyler Harris (F, NC St.) have all been linked to a workout with Detroit. All are expected to go late or undrafted.
Tweet of the Week