For the most part, Stan Van Gundy entered the offseason with players he is comfortable with in his starting lineup. That meant he could focus on strengthening a bench that, quite frankly, was terrible last year. So far (expect more moves), Van Bower (Stan Van Gundy/Jeff Bower) has done just that in signing Ish Smith, Jon Leuer, and Boban Marjanovic.
Here's how the current depth chart looks.
- Point Guard - Reggie Jackson, Ish Smith, Michael Gbinije, Lorenzo Brown
- Shooting Guard - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Darrun Hilliard, Reggie Bullock, Stanley Johnson, Michael Gbinije
- Small Forward - Marcus Morris, Stanley Johnson, Tobias Harris, Reggie Bullock, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Michael Gbinije
- Power Forward - Tobias Harris, Jon Leuer, Marcus Morris, Henry Ellenson, Aron Baynes
- Center - Andre Drummond, Aron Baynes, Boban Marjanovic, Jon Leuer, Henry Ellenson
The Pistons are at the maximum of 15 players with the last remaining roster spot up for grabs for a third point guard. Lorenzo Brown has an unguaranteed contract and seems to have the inside track on the job. The Pistons, however, could look for a veteran (read: Steve Blake or Steve Blake-like veteran carbon-based lifeform).
The next question, of course, is how Stan Van Gundy staggers the minutes and what kind of rotations and lineups he would use.
What would you do with this lineup on a night-in, night-out basis, DBB? Put on your inner turtleneck over a sportcoat, grow a mustache and become SVG for a moment. Let us know in the comments.