clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

SBN Reacts: Fans split on keeping Killian Hayes in starting PG role

Fans also report big improvements in play after foul rules change

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Detroit Pistons v Atlanta Hawks Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The number of winless teams is dwindling and is now down to only two teams — the 0-3 Detroit Pistons and the 0-4 Oklahoma City Thunder. That has caused a bit of unease among Pistons fans who expected improvements this year after last year’s 20-win finish.

Most of that ire has been directed at point guard Killian Hayes who is struggling to find his shot and a role in the Pistons extremely disjointed offense. Detroit Pistons fans were asked about Hayes’ role and were split on what they wanted to see in the latest SB Nation Reacts survey. A majority of respondents (56%) said Killian Hayes should remain the starting point guard, while the remaining 44% were split on wanting him to either come off the bench in Detroit or move down to the G League where he could be a featured piece while his offensive game matures.

While the fanbase is split on Hayes, Pistons fans are clearly enamored with the new offensive game that Saddiq Bey has been displaying so far this season. After a strong rookie year as a 3-point specialist, Bey is driving and creating more this year. It i paying dividends and allowing him to be effective even while his formerly trusty 3-point shot has been absent so far this season (23%).

Asked which of the team’s second-year players would have the best season among Hayes, Bey, Isaiah Stewart and Saben Lee, Saddiq ran away with the vote with 85% voting in favor of the Pistons forward.

There were also national questions on the docket in the latest survey, with the most interesting being fans chiming in with approval on the league’s new emphasis on not calling fouls when the offensive player lunges to initiate contact.

The fans have spoken, with 87% saying the game is better now after the league clamped down on the Trae Young and James Harden-inspired rule changes/clarifications in the offseason. At the same time, nobody seems to be holding a pity party for the struggling Harden. The Nets shooting guard has shot 8.7 free-throws per game during his career including six consecutive seasons averaging more than 10 free throws from 2014-20. This season, Harden is down to a paltry 3.0 free throws per game. Yet, only 14% of fans say Harden is being unfairly targeted by the shooting foul rules changes.

The more Detroit Pistons fans who sign up for SB Nation Reacts, the more I can include Pistons-specific questions in the surveys that go out. So please take a minute to sign up. To vote in the Reacts surveys and have your voice heard each week, sign up here. Check out DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sportsbook partner of SB Nation.