The Detroit Pistons announced tickets for a limited number of seats will go on sale beginning March 4 at 10 a.m., with up to 750 fans able to attend home games beginning with the March 17 game against the Toronto Raptors.
The organization announced the move as part of updated guidelines from state and local government health officials. Presumably, if the COVID-19 case count continues its downward trend, and the vaccination rate continues to increase rapidly, more fans could attend games as the season rolls on.
As part of the plan to have more fans attend home games, the Pistons announced several safety measures that will be a part of game day.
All seats will be physically distanced. Additional measures include:
- All fans aged two years and older will be required to wear a mask for the duration of their time inside the venue except when eating or drinking at their seating location.
- Marked physical distancing while navigating the venue.
- Completion of health survey screening for all guests entering the arena no more than 24 hours before the game.
- Installation of mobile ticket scanning pedestals Cashless payments in the parking lot and for food and beverage.
- Any and all bags will be prohibited for all games.
“In preparation for hosting a limited number of fans during these challenging times, we are grateful to work closely with state and local health professionals, the NBA and Olympia Entertainment in creating a safe and welcoming environment,” said Mike Zavodsky, chief business officer for the Detroit Pistons in a release. “We thank our fans and the community for their continued support during this time as we worked through all necessary steps and benchmarks required for welcoming you back to Little Caesars Arena safely.”
Finally, and credit to Omari Sankofa for putting this bug in my ear, but did the Pistons really have to start this off with a home game against the Raptors? Toronto fans are notorious invaders of the Palace and Little Caesars Arena, and now the diehards have to see their home games being played in Tampa Bay?
We could have a true northern infestation on our hands. Polite geniality and Timmy’s cups as far as the eye can see.